"More than anything else, being an educated person means being able to see connections that allow one to make sense of the world and act within it in creative ways."- William Cronan

Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Strengths


One of my strengths that I'm proud to have is my strength in adaptability. I have always had a good ability to adapt to changes in my life. When I was 13 years old, my family and I moved to Wisconsin from New York City and that was a huge change for me. Yet, I was able to adapt pretty well to the different surroundings and different school and managed to make many friends that I still have today. While we all have made this adjustment as well, I feel like I adapted especially well transitioning from high school with full support from my parents to college, living on my own supporting myself. My strength in adaptability has been beneficial to my academics because I am able to manage balancing my academic demands with social commitments, extracurricular activities, and part-time jobs. The course load for an actuarial science major is difficult, along with marching band, club commitments, my job with the ticket office, and attempting to maintain a social life all make my life pretty hectic. I’m still able to adapt well to additions in my busy schedule and leverage my ability not to feel overwhelmed.

Another strength that I'm happy I have is my positivity. I try to always look on the bright side of things because I know that I can't change what has already been done and there's no point in being negative and putting myself down over something I have no control over. The thing I do have control over is what I learned from the experience and how I can grow from it and my positivity allows me to see the silver lining in every situation. I use my positivity in my academics as well to help me keep my head up after a bad exam grade to motivate me to do that much better next time. This was especially true after my two failed attempts at the SOA exam, where my positivity has allowed me to learn from my failure and instead of feeling sorry for myself, I'm doing everything I can to better prepare for next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment